10 WINE TOURISM FACTS NOW
Specialist niche tourism marketing, as delivered by Acorn Tourism Development, provides insights as well as in depth analyses to help visitor economies. Here are 10 facts about Wine Tourism that could give help develop your wine business:
1. There are thousands of wine trails in the main wine producing regions worldwide, connecting wineries, attractions and accommodation – these are driving the growth in wine tourism.
2. Lonely Planet published its first Wine Trails guide book last year.
3. United Nations World Tourism Organisation held its first Global Conference on Wine Tourism in Georgia in 2016. A second conference will be held in Argentina in 2017.
4. Italy, France and Spain produce 50% of all wine globally.
5. The other significant wine producing countries, and therefore wine tourism destinations are: USA, Australia, China, Chile, South Africa, Argentina and Germany.
6. Worldwide there were an estimated 50 million international trips made for wine tourism in 2016, spending £20 billion.
7. Wine festivals are increasingly popular - the largest is the Bad Durkheim Wusrtmark in Germany which attracts over 600,000 visitors each year.
8. La Cite du Vin is a huge museum dedicated to wine that opened in Bordeaux in 2016. It is expected to attract 450,000 visitors annually.
9. Emerging wine tourism destinations include Moldova, Georgia and Ethiopia. All are using wine to attract additional visitors.
10. English wine production is expanding rapidly and demand is currently outflanking supply. Production is set to double from 5 million bottles to 10 million by 2020. Many wineries are using wine tourism to boost income significantly.